Free Tax Preparation Services
- Tri-CAP is a VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program that offers free tax preparation, by IRS certified volunteers,
for individual returns of households grossing less than $35,000 or multiple person returns for households grossing less than $55,000.
- Tri-CAP prepares income taxes, CRP/Renter’s Rebates, and Homeowners Property Tax rebates.
Service for CRP/Renter’s Rebates or Property Tax Rebates only (not filing income tax) available after April 18th at our walk-in sites or by appointment at the Waite Park Tri-CAP office between May and August.
- Returns are filed electronically and the direct deposit option to receive refunds is encouraged and options provided for.
We are no longer taking appointments during the rest of 2017. Free Tax Sites will open again at the end of January 2018.
For other tax filing options click the button below
Other Tax Filing Options
Year-round services are available if you receive a letter from the IRS or MN Department of Revenue with a specific time frame to file. Please call 320-251-1612 to schedule an appointment.
What to Bring to Tax Site
SELF-ASSISTED ONLINE OPTION-MY FREE TAXES PARTNERSHIP
- This option provides free online federal and state tax preparation and filing assistance for tax payers earning less than $64,000 per year.
- It is easy, safe, secure, and 100% free.
- This site is sponsored by United Way and many corporate and government agencies.
If you have questions, or would like assistance with this service, call Tri-CAP at 320-251-1612
- Click here to go to My Free Taxes
If you are self-employed as an independent contractor, or you own your own
business and have no employees, we may be able to prepare your taxes.
We are not able to prepare taxes for farmers, daycare providers, taxi services, Day Traders, etc.
Save Some, Fix Some, Spend Some
Financial services are available with tax preparation services through our “Save Some, Fix Some, Spend Some” program. Households have access to financial education, requests for free credit and ChexSystem reports, etc.
Where’s my refund?
In order to gain information on the progress of your tax return, you can call or check online with the IRS and the MN Department of Revenue
Information you will need includes:
- Social Security Number
- Filing Status
- Amount of your refund
IRS-Where’s my Refund
Minnesota-Where’s my Refund
Watch Information Video
8 am – 4:30 pm Monday – Friday
Please read our Tri-CAP Data Privacy Notice & Consent